Friday, February 5, 2010

refocus

So my machine has been sitting pretty idly by in the room where all of my project gear lives. Plenty of things have kept me from working on it this last three fourths of a year, from summer bike rides, an apartment move, work travel, and various holidays and smaller trips.

but it always bothered me that i was letting myself get stopped by these software issues. so in December i decided to start focusing again. i fired it up. set to rebuilding the few parts that gave me mechanical trouble (z-axis and extruder) and recommit myself to learning more about programming. of course i quickly hit the same point that stopped me earlier, my older configuration wasn't explicitly supported with the newer software and i would have to hack at it to get it to work. i decided it would be prudent to get a few generation 3 boards so at least i could get component systems going and have back ups in case issues arose with my original micro.

it feels like spring cleaning, where i used to want to power through and keep everything stock and deal with what i was dealt, i no longer feel that i am betraying anything by tearing down and rebuilding mechanical or electrical systems. I've also admitted to myself that i need help from others who stand so much more firmly on these software/firmware structures i can't make heads from tails with. I've extended a call to help to the local hacker space, and to others whom with which i have some tentative connection. (friends of friends, friend of brother, etc.)

i am still learning quite a bit, but i'd really like something to show for it. even if it is some lumpy piece of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment